Daffodil bulbs cause the most common poisoning in dogs as they have the highest amount of toxins. The dust from the bulbs can destroy the tissues in the mucous membranes and upper respiratory tract if this is inhaled. Arrhythmias and changes to cardiac rhythm changes can occur from the lycorine and kidney failure can occur if the calcium oxalate is consumed. Hyacinth exposure is very similar to daffodil poisoning, when the plant bulbs are chewed it can cause irritation to the mouth and esophagus. The bulbs can cause pain, swelling and blisters to the skin if contact is made.
Symptoms of daffodil poisoning can differ depending on whether the bulb or flower is consumed as well as the amount the pet has ate. Symptoms can also differ depending on the exposure the pet suffers.
Symptoms could include:-
Oral poisoning (consumption of any part of the flower, plant or bulb)
- Abdominal pain
- Abnormal breathing
- Cardiac arrhythmias
- Increased heart rate
- Low blood pressure
Inhalation (breathing in the dust from the daffodil bulbs)
- Shortness of breath from pulmonary edema
Topical Exposure (exposure from any part of the daffodil to the skin)
Depending on how your pet has been exposed to the daffodil will depend on the treatment and recovery time for your pet. Your pet may need IV fluids or maybe even oxygen. If your pet is treated within 24 hours there is a better prognosis although treatment may take several weeks to months depending on the exposure.
If you have any concerns your pet may have been exposed to any poisoning it’s best to seek medical advice as soon as possible so that treatment can commence.
Try to be careful when you are out in the park or public places and make sure
you try to move any daffodils or bulbs that your pet may have access to.
#Daffodils #DaffodilPoisoning #SignsOfDaffodilPosioning #TopicalExposureFromDafodilsInDogs #InhalationExposureOfDafodilsInDogs #OralPosioningFromDafodilsInDogs #VIP4U #HowToCheckIfYourDogHasDafodilPosioning